Sunday, May 25, 2008

SHIPMATES

Hey guys! The weather out here is starting to warm up a bit, but that doesn't slow anyone down out here. Missions have to be run, equipment has to be fixed, and SeaBees still have to build! These guys seem to have two speeds: Wide-open, and sleep...and definitely more of the first than the second.

One morning as I was getting ready, the A/C in our hooch cut out. I feel a bit uncomfortable telling our guys about it, as they have so much work to do. I just leave a note with them, tell 'em that I'm in no hurry (because I really shouldn't be complaining about lack of A/C in a war zone), keep the lights off, and shut the door. I headed off to my first meeting, and got started on the day.

I'm usually back to the office before too long, and when I arrived, a truck had pulled up to our service area....with a brand new A/C unit in the back! I had to do a double take, and then I see one of the guys knocking on my door to see if he can come in and install it!

Again, there are more important things to be worried about, but the guys just took care of me.

They were in and out in just a few minutes, and were about to leave for their next task. I stopped them just before they left, said thank you (many times), and gave them this (pictured below):

It's a command coin, and amongst its uses, it's the way leaders say thank you when someone does something big for them. They sure did.

We shook hands like men, and carried on.

Even in the desert, there are still Shipmates.

SEMPER FORTIS,
BEAR

2 comments:

SZH said...

Nice to know you can stay cool in the OVEN! we are thinking of you, and we love you! BF and PP

Sandy Salt said...

Bear,
It is always good to hear from guys on the front line. I know how tough it can be, but it is also rewarding to know you are saving lives. Keep posting. Keep safe.
JCCS-1 Plank Owner (Mar06-Mar-07)